Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Put Your Shoes On :)

I had a dream last night.
Mary was talking.
Not a lot, but enough to cause some real feelings of joy.
Yep, it was a good dream.
Then I woke up and reality set in.
After breakfast, Mary and I had a stand-off..
She didn't want to put her shoes on for school.
It's not something she ALWAYS does on her own, but 5 mornings out of 7 she will put her own shoes on - no fuss or problems.
Not today.
First she tried yelling at me.
I calmly kept saying, while sitting right next to her and placing the shoe in her hands, "Mary, put your shoes on."
When the yelling didn't phase me, she began her sobbing, which is kinda fake and self-induced. 
It sounds very woeful. 
I just kept calmly putting the shoe back in her lap (she kept pushing it off) and saying in my nice voice, "Mary, put your shoes on."
After 15 minutes of this, (yeah, I persisted, never losing my temper) she finally put ONE shoe on.  
Good enough for me.
I put the other shoe on for her, gave her a big hug and told her I loved her.  Then she was off to school.
Luckily, when I asked her to put her coat on, she did. 
Good thing, cuz I was done by then.

No comments: