Thursday, March 3, 2011

Thankful on Thursday

I'm just going to tell you ONE thing I'm thankful for today, since it's been on my mind so much.
I am thankful to be almost 53 and 3/4 old!
It's true.  I embrace it!!

First of all, it took a lot of work to get here.
I'm happy with the journey so far and looking forward to the future.
I've had some great experiences and I've been able to share them with the most awesome people ever - my family!
 
Here are my thoughts:
In this crazy world, where young and thin is idealized and even worshipped, I had begun a decade ago to dread getting into my 50's and getting older.
But accepting the inevitable, and being STRONGLY opposed to anti-aging fads, I began to notice some of the perks.
Like:

*I am really comfortable with who I am
 
I know me, I am okay with me, and I even appreciate me.  Doesn't mean I'm perfect or that I can't improve, but just that I'm okay with it all.

*I'm much, much less influenced by the trends and whims of society
 
I feel like my objective eye has been sharpened over the years, and I can see things better for what they are.  I can see the pros and the cons less emotionally, and I can debate them and understand them better.

*I am thankful for my opinions. 
They are hard won through the exacting school of experience.  I am not embarrassed of, or will apologize for them.

*Life is sometimes awkward. 
  Yeah, it feels uncomfortable, but it's how we grow.  I have a cute little Campanula that sits near my computer.  When I brought it home from the store, it was covered with cute little purple blossoms.  Then the blossoms fell off.  I watered it and cared for it, but no new blossoms.  Then I went away for a few days and forgot to have someone water it.  The lack of water stressed it, causing it, once I returned with some water, to bloom even bigger than before!   The best growth comes after trials.
*I no longer feel the need to apologize for my faith or beliefs 
- religious and otherwise.  I am entitled to them, and often it's all we have.  If my faith in something, or my belief in an ideal, offends or inconveniences someone, it's okay.  That's life, and we will all get over it!

*Life is short -
in the eternal sense.  Very few things in this life are permanent, and most things will pass.  Like hard times.  They won't last forever.  There is always a brighter day.  BUT, even on the dark days, we can MAKE it better.  There is always something WE CAN DO to ease the situation, if only in our own minds.

*Love and gratitude are magical.  
 
If ever there was magic in the world, that's it.  They have to be combined though, to work properly.  Love and gratitude together can work miracles - I promise.

54th birthday - BRING IT ON!! (and many more!)

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I agree completely! Beautifully put!

Unknown said...

Beautifully written. I have always thought of you more as an older sister, especially since that (short period of) time you lived with us. In those terms you couldn't be older than 39 at the very most.