Thursday, March 17, 2011

Sweet Sixteen - and I'll shoot him if he kisses you!


In keeping with the tradition of Birthday tributes, this one is dedicated to my youngest child, Rachel 
 
She turned 16 yesterday - got her driver's license this morning.  
Yikes!
I can't believe she did that.

I have told her most of her little life, that she could NOT grow up.  
 

I wanted her to stay little forever.  But, she has been disobedient and has been growing up anyways - on the sly.  So, I guess I must consign myself to it.
She's my baby, the one who awakened me (sorry - older siblings) to the fact that the happiest times of my life have been with my young ones.  
Age 8 months
I have been reluctant to let it go.  In her defense, she has obliged me somewhat, by staying "small".  But, I noticed a few days ago that she is now as tall as me. 
 
*sigh*
But, enough lamentations.
On to Rachel.  
Born 16 years ago on a lovely spring afternoon in Arizona, she was the last to join our family.  A tiny bundle, with enormous eyes, she surprised and delighted us from the start.  
As a toddler, we knew she was "special".  
 
She was the BOSSIEST 25 lb bundle you ever saw. (the result, I'm sure, of having so many older "bosses".)
She had funny little ways, like; collecting and hiding odds and ends (our car keys for example), taking the cat for stroller rides,  demanding to go to bed early each night, sticking cheetos and fingers up her nose to be funny, and squealing each time she saw a hot air balloon.
 
As she grew, she became slightly less bossy, and continued to collect things.  
Being around all older people at home, she had a grown-up sense of humor that would surprise her teachers.  
 
She loved all sorts of creatures, from bugs, to snakes and lizards, to sea life, to horses.
 
After a few trips to Mexico, she discovered her love of the ocean and the things that lived in there.
In Mexico
  Even after being stung by a sting-ray, and it's excruciating effects, she loved the animals in the sea, spending hours reading books on that topic.
With Shamu at Sea World
A favorite thing for mom and Rachel was to watch Jacques Cousteau specials on TV.  
5th grade report on Jacques Cousteau
 She learned to play the clarinet, then the bass clarinet, and then moved on to the drums.  There's a good story here - about her determination to play drums, but I will save that for another day.  
Homecoming game 2010
She was always active and we became well known at the Dr.'s clinic with all of her broken bones.  

I can't even keep track with how many it's been! 
She loved sports, soccer especially, playing for the high school JV team.
She discovered horses, and loved those too, taking lessons on horse care and riding from a dear friend. 
Bro Crane and Rachel
She entered High School last year and discovered another hidden talent.  Running!! 

Yep, the girl is good - AND fast.  We love to watch her run!
But, the things I really love about Rachel are her uniqueness-es.  Oh yeah, she is one unique 16-yr old girl.  For example:
*She loves to EXPLORE!!  (no fear!)
*She can beat bop with her mouth - she's good!
*Her favorite magazine subscription is (drum roll) Popular Science!
*She makes hilarious movies, starring herself - and sometimes a friend.
Rock Star
*She likes to help her Dad work in the yard or build things.
*She still collects things - right now it's  STAMPS.
Another thing I love about her is her hugs.  When she was little, she'd come to me for a hug, but wouldn't let go.  She still does that sometimes!  :)
And she is thoughtful and empathetic.  She feels for others.  She helps Mary, she helps me; 
 
she anticipates others needs.  Unusual for a teen-ager!
And so, we celebrate Rachel.
Happy 16th year girlie!!
We love you TONZ!

No comments: