Friday, January 21, 2011

My Newfound Respect for Elephants

Yesterday I said I'd go into why I'm grateful for elephants.

I went to a 'lecture' a few nights ago at our church.
The topic was:  "The Metaphor of the Elephants"

The speaker was fun and engaging, plus, she was a friend, so I probably listened better than usual.
And, what can elephants teach us?
-they are the ONE threat (from the animal kingdom) to the mighty Lion.
 -they live in "family groups" led by a matriarch
-mother elephants keep their young within 5 yards reach during the first 7 years - and help watch other young elephants in the herd.
-during those first 7-15 years, they are teaching and training those young elephants in all the elephant 'etiquette'.
 And here's the coolest part!:
- when threatened by danger, the herd rounds up the young or sick and elderly.  They then circle around them, facing outward, hip to hip and shoulder to shoulder.  In this way they are IMPENETRABLE!!  
NOTHING can get in and harm them!

Can we as neighbors and parents learn from this impressive animal?
Duh, I think so.
And that's not all.
My favorite part is:
They are big and heavy.
They are wrinkled.
They are gray and funny looking.
AND THEY DON'T CARE!!!
Now there's a lesson for all us women who compare ourselves to the unrealistic women in the media!!


No comments: