Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Mr. Pain

I have not been really well acquainted with Pain.
Until recently.

Yes, I capitalize Pain because it can become a major presence in your life. Like a mean spiteful person always lurking behind you. I have had some experience with Pain, but it has always been fleeting, rarely lasting for more than a day or two (or three if you count surgeries). But this year.... and most especially the last 3 weeks, Pain has become an unwelcome companion who keeps visiting me for extended stays. He wasn't invited.
And he's been loathe to go away.
But.... Since he has been so persistent, I decided that perhaps there was something I could learn from him.

Here is what I've learned so far:
*Your health is important but your spiritual health is REALLY important. *You can smile even when it hurts.
*You can smile when you are crying.
*People care and people make each day worth it.
*You have a choice when things don't go your way. You can be PRO-active or RE-active. It's your choice.
*Pain is not gain necessarily, but it teaches us humility.
and last but never least,
*I understand my fellow human beings better.

I am sure there is more to learn.
I hope I can be a teachable pupil.

And p.s.: I am feeling better each day now. Yay!