Sunday, January 1, 2012

Two Thoughts for 2012

I have two thoughts (not original) that have been much on my mind and continually reoccurring over the past few weeks.  So much so, in fact, that I want to make these two thoughts the underlying theme (for lack of a better word) for this new year.  Perhaps, if I succeed, I will be able to incorporate these into my life permanently.

First thought:  
I first heard this at General Conference and I've heard it multiple times since in different ways.  All of them have the same meaning, and that is, to a great extent we need to be responsible for how we treat others and what kind of lasting impression we leave them with.  You can say all the right things, but if you say them in an uncaring way, or you ignore them or treat them badly, they will never pay any heed to the words coming out of your mouth.  
I've hurt a lot of people, I'm sure, and I am sorry for that.  My motto used to be, "They'll get over it".  I'm going to pinch myself every time I think that from now on.  Sure, people can choose how they react and feel, but that doesn't absolve me of my effect on others.

Second thought:
Again, not original and often said in many different ways.
Often we are so "heck"-bent on obtaining what our mind is set on, that we are not grateful for what we already have.  I have not only seen this in many people's lives, but also in my own.  And one thing is for sure;  that is if you're always pining away for what you don't have - then you will SURELY be unhappy.  It's a tried and true recipe - tried hundreds of times over by me.  So, I'm going to make this my second mantra and repeat to myself all the things/blessings that I already have and to cherish them.
Here's to a New Year - and new thoughts!!

No comments: