Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Where's the Turkey?

2 days and counting to Thanksgiving!
Danny & Mary - cute little Indians - about 1987
So...I've been thinking
About my favorite memories about Thanksgiving.
So I'm going to share a few of them.
 The star of this first memory is my oldest, Danny; the year, about 1993.
(Yep, sorry kids, I know you've heard this one - but it's my fave.)
While living in southeast AZ, we always had the annual Thanksgiving feast in Ft. Thomas with the extended family.   We are talking about A LOT of family.  We would always hold it in the Ft. Thomas church - in the multi-purpose room.  Of course , it was wonderful to see and visit with all the cousins.  But, there was SSOOO much food.  This side of the family - my grandmother's side - believes that the most important ingredient to a successful family gathering is FOOD - and lots of it - and most delicious it is!  You walk away disappointed if you don't get to try everything there!!  
But, I regress.
When our children were small, we lived close enough to attend each and every year.  
About the 3rd or 4th year attending, Danny, who was about 9 yrs old by then, was a bit frustrated because his mom(me) wanted him to eat some good stuff before the dessert.
Danny & Loren  Fall 1994
  And there were SOO many desserts!  They had a full long table - JUST for dessert - and he couldn't eat all he wanted to.
So, the next year he planned.  He happily told me of his plan about a week before Thanksgiving.  With twinkling greedy eyes, he told me he was going to eat very little between now and the big day.  And then, the night before Thanksgiving, he wouldn't eat hardly anything at all!  Then, when he got to the "feast", he'd have tons of room in his stomach!
On with the story....
Big day came.  He was hungry and a bit grumpy.  We made the drive to Ft. Thomas and there, sure enough, were the 3 long tables, end to end, full of food.  The desserts looked even better this year.  There were pies of every variety, cream, fruit and pumpkin.  There were doughnuts with frosting, cookies, cakes, whipped cream, ice cream (homemade), custards and puddings.  It was a 10 yr old boys dream come true!!
After the prayer, he was one of the first in line.  He came and showed me his 'token' turkey and potatoes.  
"Where's the turkey?", I asked, teasing him. 
He didn't get it.
Before I even got to my seat with my plate of food, he was back in line for desserts.  And he loaded it up good!  I think he almost had a little of everything, a lot of his favorite things.
He sat down and dug in.  Not even halfway through, he began to turn a little green and run out of steam.  His stomach had 'shrunk' with his self-imposed fast, and he couldn't fit it in.  I couldn't tell if he was sick from all the sweets or just bummed that he couldn't eat it all.
He pushed his plate aside and sat there looking sad.  After a while he wandered off to play with the cousins.
We all remained and visited for an hour or so with the relatives.
Danny & Mary  fall 1995
As I gathered up the kids for the drive home and handed Danny his leftover cookies and doughnuts wrapped in a napkin, he said to me, "I've thought up a new plan for next year!"
The kid never gives up!!
And I LOVE him for it!!

2 comments:

Amelia Brame said...

Figures that your most favoritest Thanksgiving memory ever doesn't involve your neglected middle child ;)

Patty said...

I WAS going to post tomorrow - about another favorite memory with YOU in it. But, maybe I won't??? :0