Sunday, June 6, 2010

To There and Back - Part 4 Colorado


Beautiful Colorado!!

(Warning: This post has tons of pictures!)
Well, after another full day of driving, we arrived Saturday evening in Brighton, CO where my oldest sister lives. We were so glad to be there.

My sister Karen, and her husband, Jerry.
First,
it's like a home away from home with familiar and friendly faces
and good home cooked meals.
(Thanks again!!)
Second,
I don't get to spend much time with my sister or her family, so this was a real treat!


This is my very smart and beautiful niece, Julie. I hope she likes this picture!!
Third,
instead of staying just one day, we decided to stay 2 whole days and 3 nights.
I was so excited!
Fourth,
I'm really starting to like Colorado!

So, after a good night's sleep, we all went to church on Sunday.
Then we took it kinda easy during the day;
watching Mary Poppins with my niece Julie, visiting with family,
and getting a nap or two.

The next day was Memorial Day.
We made a picnic lunch and headed up to Rocky Mountain National Park.
This is seriously one of the most beautiful NP's in the country.

Every turn of the road or path was breathtaking!

3 girls on a log!
The second lake we went to was still FROZEN!!!

We finished off the day with a traditional Memorial Day BBQ
at my nephew's home with his cute family.

Plus, Julie and her kids, plus Jen's kids were able to join in the family fun!
My girls had a good time with everyone -
even the ones that were hanging on their legs!
My sister really has a great family.
I've always looked up to her and have admired the person she is.
Their home has a great spirit in it of love and warmth.
It was so very good to be with them.
I'm glad they were willing to put up with us!

Last day of our trip was Tuesday.
We stopped in Idaho Springs on our way through the Rockies so that
Dan and Rachel and Jess could do a gold mine tour and pan for gold.

A lifelong wish of Dan's has been to pan for gold and find a real gold nugget!
Well, he got to pan to his heart's content (almost) but...
there were no nuggets to be found.
(sigh)
This was our guide! Isn't he so cute??
Finally, we hit the road again and made it home 9 hours later.

I love how Mary is so happy here!

Even though we had an awesome trip, there's no place like home.
I wouldn't mind, however, if Colorado became "home".


1 comment:

Amelia Brame said...

That DOES look like so much fun! I remember when we drove out to Milwaukee (first time) and Dad wanted to stop and pan for gold. I had a tizzy fit kuz I thought it was so ridiculous ;) Good thing I wasn't there again! Hahaha joke joke. Miss you guys!